Human trafficking is modern-day slavery and involves the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial sex act. Traffickers use force, fraud, or coercion to lure their victims and force them into labor or commercial sexual exploitation. Trafficking is a high-profit, low-risk business where human beings are sold again and again and again by those who view them as objects for profit.
How Much $ Does a Pimp Make?
According to Polaris Project, a pimp can make between $150,000 - 500,000 per girl. Keep in mind that some pimps will have multiple girls under their control. A former Refuge KY graduate was forced to bring in $4000 per day for her pimp. So even with days off she was bringing in $300,000 a year for her trafficker.
If you'd like to learn more about trafficking and the women that we serve, here are just a few ideas you may want to consider:
Know the statistics:
- 27 million are enslaved around the globe
- 16,000 to 25,000 women and girls are affected annually in Chicago alone
- Trafficking has been reported in all 50 US States
Know the red flags:
Visit Polaris Project to learn the indicators of human trafficking.
To report suspected human trafficking, call the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 1-888-373-7888.
Books we recommend:
Choose one of these for your next book club.
- Walking Prey by Holly Austin Smith
- In Our Backyard by Nita Belles
- The White Umbrella by Mary Frances Bowley
- Nobody’s Girl by Barbara Amaya
- Girls Like Us by Rachel Lloyd
- Refuse To Do Nothing by Shayne Moore
Movies we recommend:
Host a movie night at your house and invite Refuge to come speak.
- 8 Days
Support the healing of women who have been trafficked:
- Host a Refuge For Women House Party! Open your home, invite your friends, neighbors and coworkers, and provide dessert/coffee. Refuge will present the vision and direction for giving needed aftercare to exploited and trafficked women through presentation, video, special interest sign-up sheets, raffle prize, and Q and A. For more information contact Karen Schultz at email@example.com
- Share Our Video on your Facebook page and ask your friends to like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/RFWChicago/